Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thankful Thursday: Hurricane Sandy Edition

Thankful Thursday this week has been brought to you by Hurricane Sandy.  This disaster has made a huge impact on the North East but has more personally reminded me how thankful I should be for what I have.  

Although I always have a lot to be thankful for, this week I'm thankful...

...that my people are all safe & sound.  My family, friends, coworkers and colleagues have all pretty much come out of this unscathed.  Some have lost power, some have flood damage...but most importantly, everyone is alive and well.   

...to be reminded of what matters.  To put it simply, things don't. People do.  It's hard to hear people complain about not having TV or internet.  Stop worrying about being able to update Facebook and start worrying about people who lost their lives and homes.

...for the first-responders, medical personnel, government employees and volunteers who have worked tirelessly to help others despite whatever personal tragedies they were experiencing at home.

Source
...that my city (and state) is resilient.  We are strong and will rebuild, as we have every time something or someone has tried to knock us down.  

...that I'll be cheering on the amazing runners this Sunday in the ING NYC Marathon (with this lovely lady).  I'm not really sure what my own opinion is on the post-Sandy marathon debate, but I'm sure the decision to host the marathon despite the hurricane aftermath was not an easy one.  And no matter what the final decision was, people would be angry.  What I do know is that this race will be an inspirational event that can restore a sense of normalcy and hope for New York.  So join me in supporting a race that highlights the strength of our runners and the incredible strength of our city!


What are you thankful for this week?  Tell me.  And let me know if you're running/cheering for the marathon on Sunday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment