How can you monitor your hydration?
- Urine color (it should be light-colored, similar to lemonade)
- Body weight/sweat loss (changes in body weight from pre- to post- exercise indicate hydration status)
What fluids and how much should you take in during physical activity?
- For workouts less than 60 minutes, drinking water before, during(as needed) and after is a good choice.
- For more intense activity lasting more than 60 minutes, aim to take in water and/or a sports drinks
- If you tend to be a salty sweater, be sure to replace sodium loss (through foods, soups, sports drinks, etc)
*For a personalized plan to determine your hydration needs, seek the help of a Registered Dietitian and/or Certified Sports Dietitian! :)