Monday, September 3, 2012

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

Fact: I love to bake.  Since I've been getting hyped about fall and all things pumpkin, I was planning on making pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip muffins (my fave!).  Then my cousin came back from upstate with all this deliciousness from my uncle's garden:
Photo credit to Steph :)
See that big ole zucchini right there?  I snatched that up and decided to switch to Zucchini bread.  Or muffins rather, to make them easier to share!

The end result:

So stinkin good, if I do say so myself.  Of course, to make it a tad bit healthier I tweaked a basic zucchini bread recipe, incorporating whole wheat flour and swapping whole eggs for whites.

You should definitely make these babies yourself and here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup zucchini (shredded)
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.  Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl.
3.  In a separate bowl, mix egg whites, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
4.  Add wet ingredients to dry until combined.  (Don't worry-the mix will look a little too dry to be bread/muffin mix at this point)


 5.  Add shredded zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.

6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

And last but not least...

ENJOY! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment