Fact: I love to bake. Since I've been getting hyped about fall and all things pumpkin, I was planning on making pumpkin oatmeal chocolate chip muffins (my fave!). Then my cousin came back from upstate with all this deliciousness from my uncle's garden:
|Photo credit to Steph :)|
See that big ole zucchini right there? I snatched that up and decided to switch to Zucchini bread. Or muffins rather, to make them easier to share!
The end result:
So stinkin good, if I do say so myself. Of course, to make it a tad bit healthier I tweaked a basic zucchini bread recipe, incorporating whole wheat flour and swapping whole eggs for whites.
You should definitely make these babies yourself and here's the recipe:
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 egg whites
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 cup zucchini (shredded)
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix egg whites, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and lemon juice.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry until combined. (Don't worry-the mix will look a little too dry to be bread/muffin mix at this point)
5. Add shredded zucchini, chocolate chips and walnuts.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
And last but not least...