Monday, February 13, 2012

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Cake!

This may come as a surprise, but I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day this year.  However, I am always a fan of both baking and Pinterest...so I decided to use this "holiday" to combine those loves and try out my version of the Pinterest sensation Red Velvet cake balls.  
the final product. delish.
These certainly aren't the healthiest dessert I've made, but I still snuck in some healthy tweaks to the recipes I found.  I up-ed the egg white to egg ratio and decreased the amount of vegetable oil when making the cake mix.  If for no other reason than taste, I will definitely make my own red velvet cake batter next time.  Those box mixes just don't match up to the "real deal".  And if you decide to try these yourself, be prepared to get a little messy.  You really have to get your hands in the cake batter, which was kind of fun! 

cake crumbs

ready for the chocolate hot tub...

done and delicious.

Red Velvet Cake Balls

1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix (prepared using 1 egg, 3 egg whites, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 1/4 cup water)
3/4 container of cream cheese frosting
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (melted)

1. Combine cake mix, egg/egg whites, vegetable oil and water.  
2.  Bake according to box instructions.
3.  Once cooled, crumble finished cake into a bowl. 
4.  Stir in frosting until a smooth consistency is reached.  [This gets a little messy...but is easiest using your hands! :) ]
5.  Roll "dough" into 1" balls and keep on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
6. Melt chocolate chips on VERY low heat.  Using two forks, roll each cake ball in chocolate to coat.  Cool on parchment paper and enjoy! 


Enjoy these with your valentine (or by yourself)...but remember, everything in moderation! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment