Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Firecracker 10K: Race Recap

Happy 4th of July!


I started the day with a nice ridiculously hot 6.2 miles on Roosevelt Island.  When I woke up, it was 75 degrees and raining...and I was thrilled.  I put on the only blue shirt I own and of course my Sparkly Soul thin red headband and I was ready to go!


Unfortunately the weather did not continue to cooperate.  During the amazingly fast and easy drive from my apartment to Roosevelt Island, the rain cleared up, sun came out and it was insanely hot and humid.  


Looking up at the Queensboro Bridge

The first annual Firecracker 10K was hosted by NYCRuns.  It took place on Roosevelt Island, which is definitely some new and different scenery for me.  I've run two other NYCRuns races and have been pleased with their cheaper pricing, well-organized races and smaller crowds.  For the most part, they lived up to my expectations again.  My only complaints about the race are that there were very few portapottys, not so great race markings, and that they ran out of cups on the second lap water station.  Especially on a day like today, those water stops are essential!

Little lighthouse!

Okay, so how'd I do? Eh. The race was 2 loops around the island, with some cool views of Manhattan and Queens.  There was not much shade but it was a flat and easy course.  I haven't been great about sticking to a running schedule lately, so I haven't done any distances longer than 4 or 5 miles in weeks.  Since I haven't been running, my body was certainly not ready for the heat and humidity.  As such, my goals for this race included 1) surviving and 2) crossing the finish line.  And guess what? I did just that.  

Finisher photo!

I was not fast and I did not care.  My final time was 1:04:34, so a 10:25 pace.  Definitely not a PR for me, but I have to remember that running in the heat slows your pace considerably.  And that's okay! I'm just glad I finished and got my ice pop!

Sweet success!
After my hot morning run, I headed upstate to my parents for a BBQ where I continued to sweat like crazy! I spent a great afternoon with my family and lots of yummy food!
Thanks to my SIL for this tasty treat!


Now it's time to relax and cool down in the AC.  How did you spend your 4th of July? Any fun and sweaty plans?


No comments:

Post a Comment