Monday, December 31, 2012

Hello 2013, Goodbye 2012!

Here we are, on the last day of 2012! It's time to reflect on year behind us and get ready for the awesomeness ahead!  I'm a big fan of resolutions and goals.  As long as they're done properly.  Instead of making generic resolutions like "be healthy", "lose weight" or "exercise more", it's important to set yourself up for success!  Creating realistic and measurable goals will hold you more accountable and give you something concrete to strive for in the coming year.  

Before creating my big goals for 2013, I of course had to review my 2012 goals.  Halfway through the year, I checked in on these goals and realized I didn't set the bar high enough.  I had achieved almost every goal and decided to set a few more to finish out 2012.  I was pretty successful again...

1. Complete my second half-marathon. Check! 

2. PR in the 10K distance. Fail. The only 10K race I completed in the second half of the year was recently at the Hot Chocolate 10K and it was rough.  No PR for me!  Maybe I'll kick off 2013 with a new 10K PR at the Joe Kleinerman?

3. Run the 25K Turkey Trot with Dad. BOOM! Big ole check! This one was definitely a struggle but I did it.  Never again though.


4. "Learn" to swim. Fail. This one is just getting indefinitely postponed.  

5. Pass the R.D. Exam and get a job! CHECK and CHECK!  In July I began working as a Clinical Dietitian and in September, I officially passed the exam to become a Registered Dietitian.  

All in all, 2012 was a kick-ass year, in running and in life!  I continue to meet amazing new people who inspire me to be better and do more!  So for 2013, I'm ready to step outside of my comfort zone and push my limits to see what I'm capable of!  My girl Eleanor Roosevelt once said "do one thing everyday that scares you." Although I'm not sure I'm going to do something everyday that scares me, I love the idea of challenging yourself to do things that make you uncomfortable.  To put it simply, I'm ready to #DreamBig2013!

My Goals for 2013:

PR in the half-marathon distance (More specifically sub 2:05?).  I'm running the WDW Half in less than 2 weeks, but will be stopping for all sorts of character photos, so the PR will not come there.  Perhaps NYC Half???

Strength train 2x/week consistently.  Although I dread paying for an overpriced gym, I gave in and joined NYSC so I have no excuse for this one.  Strength training is important for running and for overall health and I want to be a stronger woman!  

Do one unassisted pull-up.  This is sort of random and ideally, it will be more than one.  As mentioned above, I really want to become stronger all around.  It seems silly but I've never ever done a pull-up all on my own and I really want to this year.  

Complete 9+1 NYRR races for guaranteed entry into the 2014 NYC Marathon.  Ahhh! This one definitely scares me.  I'm fine with running 9 races, but thinking that one day I'll run (or try to run) New York is intimidating.  

Do at least 3 races outside of NY State. I have a head start on this goal since I'm already registered for the Cherry Blossom 10-mile race with Beth, Abby and Jen.  As of now I'm also considering Peach Tree for 4th of July and Strip at Night in Vegas!?  I'm definitely still open to suggestions if anyone wants to take a trip!

Give back. Okay, so this one isn't really specific or measurable...but I don't think it needs to be.  I may not have a ton of disposable income, but every year I make sure to give whatever I can to charitable causes.  This year I want to also donate more of time.  I know there are so many people who aren't as fortunate as I am and I want to continue finding ways to give back.

Say yes more.  Whenever an opportunity presents itself, I need to ask myself "why not?" and if I don't have a valid reason to not do something, I need to do it!


Most of all, this year I want to continue working toward being the most healthy, happy and best version of myself!  Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. Beth @RxBethOnTheRunJanuary 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM

    Say yes more! I love this one. I did this in 2012 and, although sometimes it was a fight, I'm so happy I said yes more. AND, I'm super excited for Cherry Blossom :) After WDW, I can't wait to run together. So happy you got into NYC Half, such a great race! My first half and I loved it! Exciting things ahead in 2013!!!!!

    ReplyDelete