Monday, January 2, 2012

I'm Officially Training for a Half Marathon!

It's official.  I've started my training plan for the 13.1 NY Half Marathon!!!  The race takes place on March 24, 2012 in the beautiful & historic Flushing Meadows Corona Park, home to the 1939 and 1964 World's Fair. 

I'll be doing 13.1 miles around this fancy guy...
 I chose this race for several reasons.  First, it's pretty much 10 minutes from my apartment.  Second, the 13.1 series has a really good reputation and reasonable race fees.  Third, since it's located in Queens and not a NYRR race, you can actually GET IN! Just sign up, and you can do it.  Well, you have to train for it too...but you know what I mean!  

My plan is generally follow this 12-week training program from Hal Higdon, a long-time runner and founding member of the Road Runners Club of America.  This guy knows his stuff.  So I absolutely trust in his plan.  It's created for a beginning runner, which I am happy about since I want to take it easy and stay away from injuries! Although I'm currently running more than the base mileage of this plan, I want to avoid overdoing anything, so it works perfect for me.  Slow and steady wins finishes the race, right?

I'm realizing that training will take up a lot of my time, and although I'm very busy with my internship, I know I'll be able to fit it all in.  Running is definitely my outlet for stress and my training plan will force me to stick with it.  It will also force me to cross-train, which I always struggle with.  Now let's just hope the winter weather cooperates so I'm able to keep up my outdoor running (since that's really my only option!).  

I'll keep updating on how training is going and what challenges I encounter along the way! Wish me luck! :)

1 comment:

  1. would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.
    half marathon training plan beginner

    ReplyDelete