Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Half the Distance, Twice the Fun?

So I'm 4 weeks into my 12-week training plan for the 13.1 Queens Half Marathon.  I purposefully picked a beginner plan which started out with less mileage than I was used to running, and I have tweaked it along the way.  

I'm happy to announce that I am comfortably sore and tired, but injury-free (knock-on-wood).    I'm attributing this to the oh-so-important rest days and my cross-training.  I've forced myself to work in yoga (yuck) and spinning to my routine, which gives my body a break from running and strengthens muscles that will ultimately help me be a better runner.  I'll admit the yoga has been really good for my super tight hip flexors, so I'll keep it up! This week we tried the Yoga to the People studio in Brooklyn.  It's a great space and the class was very challenging.  I've been running 3-4 days a week for a total of 13-15 miles each week.  The plan is to slowly increase mileage each week, keeping up the cross-training and rest days. 


I'm also running the M-M-Manhattan Hot Chocolate 10K next weekend, which I'm super excited about.  Running followed by hot chocolate...? What could be better than that?


I'll continue to update as my training progresses and I'll definitely be giving a review of the 10K this weekend! :)


Happy Running and Happy Week y'all!




No comments:

Post a Comment